The Department of Agriculture and Food, Western Australia through Quarantine WA helps to prevent the spread of pests and diseases throughout Western Australia.
Some pests and diseases are present in, and currently confined to, specific parts of Western Australia but are not found throughout the rest of the State. To prevent their spread, the movement of some goods (mostly fresh produce and other plant material) is restricted to and from certain areas.
Factors such as a change in area, freedom status or the successful eradication of a pest or disease mean that intrastate requirements may change at short notice.
Below is a list describing the prescribed potential carriers that Quarantine WA requires to be declared and usually inspects. The complete list of prescribed potential carriers can be found in the Biosecurity and Agricultural Management Act 2007.
- new or used machinery that is used in association with agriculture, animals, mining or earth moving
- any animal or animal products
- bees, honey and other hive products
- animal feed of plant origin other than processed or manufactured feed for dogs, cat and fish (including hay, straw, fodder, seed and other grain used for animal feed)
- a plant or plant product, including flowers, cuttings, bulbs, fruit and vegetables (excludes canned or cooked plant products)
- absorbent pet litter derived from plant material
- plant growing media and landscaping material such as potting mix, wood chips and mulch
- cargo containers
- any container used for, or in connection with, agricultural products
- containers used to transport animals (other than dogs and cats)
- a container of live fish including all contents and the fish
- non-potable water
- a vessel
- vessel ballast water
- a vehicle.
|Eucla/Eyre Highway (WA/SA border)||+61 (0)8 9039 3227|
|Kununurra, Victoria Highway (WA/NT border)||+61 (0)8 9168 7354|
|Perth domestic airport||+61 (0)8 9334 1865|
|Indian-Pacific train||+61 (0)8 9334 1800|
|Kununurra airport||+61 (0)8 9334 1800|
|Broome airport||+61 (0)8 9334 1800|
|Kalgoorlie airport||+61 (0)8 9334 1800|
|Karratha airport||+61 (0)8 9334 1800|
Contact Quarantine WA on +61 (0)8 9334 1800 for current information.
For more information visit the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development website.